Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On the Subject of Vegetarians...

During my most recent trip to India, i decided to try something new and "go vegetarian" for the bulk of the two weeks. To my surprise, i actually did really well with it. Plus, i felt better, had more energy, and in general, didn't have that weird "sluggish" feeling after most meals.

So when i got home, i figured i would try to keep it up. I'm now, i suppose, officially operating as a "lacto-ovo vegetarian" (i.e. i still eat eggs and diary, but no chicken, fish, beef or pork). The following are my quick points of analysis:

* It's difficult to find cheap, relatively healthy veggie fast-food. Jimmy John's is my current favorite, sporting the hefty "Veggie" with fixin's (loaded to include cherry peppers).

* Sometimes it's just not possible to eat easily vegetarian. Meeting people at "The Rib Shack", for instance, turns into "No...um... i'll just sit here and drink water, thanks."

* I don't miss meat, really, at all. Except when it comes to Pepperoni Pizza.

* It's difficult to fix "parallel meals" at home. The rest of my family (particularly kids) is still largely omnivorous, so trying to either pick out meat or fix completely separate veggie meals is kind of a big hassle.

* Vegans are some freakin' WAY dedicated people. I simply can't imagine how much intentionality, time and money it would take to live that way!

So i think i'll continue along this route... except where it concerns my zombie sensibilities, of course, where my favorite vegetable will remain Couch Potatoes.

No comments: