Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A New Leaf?

Okay, so i'm not big on Christmas.  In fact, every year at about November, i start getting an anxiety-feeling "bulge" of looming dread in the pit of my stomach that doesn't go away until sometime after the first of January.  Most of it's just "baggage" from a variety of experiences over the years, but a lot of it is that i just don't like the culture-wide "greed festing" that occurs as the result of the odd marriage of spirituality and materialism.  I actually heard a pastor one year tell the Jesus story blended with Santa Clause in such a way that it was really unclear by the end whether or not the kids should expect Jesus or Santa to barrell down their chimneys and deliver presents for Christmas morning.  Yeck!

Anyway, i'm trying to reform my ways.  Trying to change my perspective on things.  Trying to find a new way to infuse the time of year with meaning that doesn't relate to how much we can max out our credit cards on a pile of stuff no one will remember or care about in two months.  And now i'm asking for your help.  I'm betting that lots of you out there have traditions within your families or other relationships that really help you to see beauty in this season.  We're now formulating ours, and i'd love to hear your ideas.  What do you do?

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I started out by not being cheap. After years of hating the season because because I am cheap I spend money to get a big tree that touches the ceiling. I don't do everything that marketers want me to do but what I do I try to make it big. I am not a great shopper so I gave to someone who is but lacks the funds. I also gave more to the thanksgiving food drive than I spent on black Friday. I will lower my expectations to levels achievable by mortals. When someone asks me what I want for Christmas I think about it and ask for stuff THEY want to and can give. When i buy for someone I think about them, I ignore spending limits and try to answer dreams and spark imaginations.

And then there is the pause, the silence, the simple. I feed my spirituality needs in basic ways. Candlelight, soft music, reading the classic Bible passages. Attending a classic church service.

Make the big big and the so the silence is just as big.

Theresa said...

I too am not fond of Christmas. My neighbors actually thought I didn't believe or celebrate Christmas because I didn't have my house decked out and interior didn't look like Martha Stewart just threw up. I have decided to pour into what the Christmas holiday does bring...time to relax and really pour into my husband & kids. Time to sit by a fire and really spend time with God. People just seem to be cheerier (word??) and thinking of others more often. We don't pay any attention to the marketing of it or the "shop til you drop" mentality. I don't even think my kids could tell you one thing that they have gotten for Christmas that is "huge" for them...but they could rattle off all the memories with family and fun we have. I love that...I think Jesus would love that...