Thursday, September 11, 2008

Homeland Security Goose Chase...


Okay, so last week, i got a great tip from Ron VanderGriend (aka. "Worldman") about some new legislation that will require some changes in the way that we are approaching our church-planting efforts through the ONE Prayer movement, particularly in Sudan. The legislation relates directly to how the Department of Homeland Security regulates funding sent to outside organizations, and so, heeding Ron's words, i set about trying to contact the government agency to try to see what i needed to do to be compliant with all requirements and move forward. Here's a quick catalogue of my interaction (or lack thereof) with them.
  • I went to their web-site, and, after much searching, finally found an "operator phone number". I called it. No answer, no voice mail.
  • I called the "tip line" to see if i could get a physical person to talk to. No luck.
  • "Okay! I'll call the White House!", i thought (would you believe that the White House actually has a direct phone line?). I did. Got the White House switch operator and told them i was trying to get ahold of a person or directory at Homeland. They gave me a new number.
  • I tried it, no answer, no voice mail.
  • Called the White House back, and they didn't have an alternate number. They said that they would check to see what the problem was with the number i called.
  • I searched around several other sites, and eventually found a "Press/Media Contact" line. I called it. "Are you part of the Media?" "Uh..no, but can you help me or direct me?" "Uh... let me see." 15 minutes of hold time.
  • Eventually, i was directed to a person's voice mail, where i explained my situation. That was a week ago. Still haven't heard back.
So... i'm feeling REALLY good about the accessibility of some of our government agencies at the moment. Several friends have jokingly told me, "I'll bet if you just called someone and started mentioning Arabic words and conventional weapons language, you'd have several people call you back immediately! Or maybe even show up at your door!" Sheesh!

No comments: